Day 4 -- 06/13/18



Had a wonderful lunch with the other people in my lab today. I felt bad making the speak in English, but they all seemed willing to. I think I said yesterday that it seemed smart to save all of my more intrusive questions for the woman from Philidelphia, but she wasn’t there, so I got to talk to these three women about their experiences with the military, the different religious sects, and education in Jersualem. At the end of work, I talked to my professor for awhile, first about my project, and then she gave me a ton of advice for things to do in Jerusalem! I am really, really happy that she is my mentor -- so helpful and kind, and seems to have a real interest in making sure that I feel comfortable and happy here, and get to experience all Jerusalem has to offer.

She mentioned a book fair (ending tomorrow) near the old city, so I of course headed over the minute I left work. It was located at a place called the First Station, the location of the old train station that got taken down once Jerusalem became more of a modern city. It’s been converted into a very cool shopping area, with large outdoor spaces for performances and seating, and restaurants all around. When I first walked in, I saw a lot of empty stands, and was sad as it seemed as though I had either come too late or too early for the fair. But, as with yesterday, it turned out I just wasn’t there yet!

My professor had said that there were English books in addition to Hebrew, but I wasn’t able to find any. It was still very fun to walk around and watch everyone shop. I went up to flip through some of the pages of books that looked like they might have lots of pictures (they didn’t), until I realized that if someone asked if I needed help while I looked through all these books written entirely in Hebrew, it would be very strange for me to respond with “I only know English”!

I still hadn’t tried an falafel this trip, and for some reason got it in my head that I absolutely needed to have that as my dinner (which didn’t make sense at all, considering I was very hungry and also have another two months here…). Luckily, I found a stand that offered falafel-pita wraps! The man didn’t really speak English, and seemed very confused (and a little disgusted), when I indicated that I only wanted falafel and hummus in my pita, declining all the other toppings that are probably fundamental in their view of this meal. But it was SO good! I ate and read in the middle of the plaza (and by “read” I mean I got through a paragraph when I wasn’t busy people watching).

I had to be back by 9 for weekly journal club for my summer program (in which ever week two people present papers from their lab -- next week is me, which I am not excited for!). I took a route back along the wall to the old city that was beautiful. While I walked, I kept hearing this very loud chanting-type noise, and was a little concerned that I might be walking into some sort of riot. As I got closer, and saw all these fun, colored, flashing lights and heard music, I realized it must be some sort of party, and thought it could be Ramadan related. I turned a corner and found -- right outside of the Jaffa Gates (one of the oldest and most famous entryways into one of the holiest places on earth) -- a gigantic spin class! Absolutely bizzare! I wish I had had more time to observe, but had to be back for jounral club, so passed into the Old City and walked along the perimeter until I reached the bus back.

I didn’t wander much around the Old City (as a young woman traveling alone, this is on the top of things not to do!), but the little time that I did spend in there was incredible. Being in the rest of Jerusalem has already felt like living in a combination of present and past, but being in the Old City was like actually just stepping into the past. I was already excited to spend a day exploring the Old City this weekend, but now I can’t wait!

Comments

  1. I absolutely LOVE reading this -- reminds me so much of visiting EZ in Jerusalem oh, so many years ago (1993). I wandered around a fair amount solo as she had things.. wonderful memories and wonderful experiences. So fun to share yours xoxo.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment